About Terracotta / Saltillo
From the Italian word 'baked earth', refined clay is partially dried and cast, molded, or hand worked into a desired shape, then fired for hardness. When unglazed, the material is very porous. Glazed terracotta can vary from relatively water proof to partially porous. Terracotta / Saltillo is a good value surface material and quite hard wearing though not as dense or tough as most types of stone.
The unglazed color after firing can vary widely depending on the amount of and type of mineral/metal particles in the clay, from orange, orange-like red, to brownish orange color and even yellows, grays and pinks.
Sealing Terracotta / Saltillo
Terracotta is usually quite porous and very prone to staining and to water ingress. All terracotta should be sealed for protection.
To maintain the look, breathability and slip resistance of terracotta, it is important to use a high quality, invisible impregnating sealer. Dry-Treat impregnating sealers are safe and suitable for outdoor and indoor surfaces, and for residential or high traffic commercial surfaces.
Which Dry-Treat™ Sealer is Best for my Terracotta
Permanent, invisible, fully breathable impregnating sealer for water and salt, PLUS premium oil stain protection.15 year warranty when sealing is performed by an Accredited Applicator.
1) Any surface to be sealed should be clean and looking just as you want it before it is sealed - it may be impossible to remove stains after sealing.
2) The surface must be freed waxes or other topical coatings. Any such existing coating must be removed prior to treating with a Dry-Treat sealer.
3) Ensure the material is thoroughly dry before applying any Dry-Treat sealer.
1) Always test any cleaning chemical or sealer on a small, inconspicuous area of the surface 24 hours before doing the project, to check that it will produce the desired result. This is especially important with ENHANCE-PLUS™ to ensure the colour enhancement is what you want.
2) Always ensure the surface is completely dry before proceeding with sealing.