PREMIUM WATER AND OIL REPELLENT IMPREGNATOR
OPTIMIZED FOR SUPERIOR, LONG LASTING PROTECTION OF POROUS MATERIALS, INCLUDING BRICK, CONCRETE, NATURAL STONE, TERRACOTTA AND GROUT
STAIN-PROOF M™ is an impregnating, invisible, fully breathable, silane-based impregnating sealer. STAIN-PROOF M™ provides superior, longer lasting protection against common forms of damage caused by the ingress of oil and water-based liquids, including: Staining, efflorescence, freeze-thaw / salt spalling and picture framing. It also keeps surfaces looking good for longer and makes them easier to clean and maintain. STAIN-PROOF M™ is optimized for maximum penetration and bonding efficiency across the widest range of exposed cementitious and non-cementitious porous building materials, from the densest natural stones to highly porous precast concrete, brick, terracotta and grout.Where to Buy
- STAIN-PROOF M™ is suitable for outdoor residential and commercial applications, including: building facades, floors, walls, swimming pool surrounds, patios, garages, driveways, pathways, and entertaining areas.
- STAIN-PROOF M™ is designed for new or restored, horizontal or vertical, architectural or structural surfaces, including: Cladding, tile, paving, blockwork, brickwork, precast panels, stack stone, veneers and grout joints.
- Recommended for use on horizontal surfaces which require protection from oil-based staining from food and beverages as well as water ingress.
Suitable for a wide range of porous building materials, including natural stone, cast stone, brick, terracotta, concrete and grout.
- Unique super-penetrating, permanent bonding technology for long lasting protection.
- Superior water and oil repellence for superior stain protection: Tested in accordance with ISO 10545-14 Determination of resistance to stains Class 5 (highest class).
- Premium protection against common types of damage caused by water and chloride ion ingress, including freeze-thaw / salt water spalling, efflorescence, picture framing and damp migration.
- Smaller silane for maximum penetration, even into dense natural stones such as granite.
- Forms full covalent chemical bonds, lining the pores of the treated material.
- Formula is optimized to facilitate efficient bonding across all types of porous masonry, including non-cementitious, low pH materials such as brick and natural stone.
- A 15 year performance warranty is available – see Warranty section below for details.
- Designed for outdoor use on residential and commercial use.
- No color change on most stones and masonry surfaces.
- Treated surfaces are easier to clean and remain looking good for longer.
- Fully breathable – allows water to evaporate and escape freely as water vapor, preventing harmful moisture buildup inside the treated material.
- Stands up to alkaline cleaners and pressure hosing.
- Retains slip resistance when applied according our written instructions and guidelines.
- High resistance to alkaline (high pH) environments. Concrete is highly alkaline / base and can severely shorten the life of other technologies.
- Able to seal hairline cracks up to 0.3 mm (0.012 in.)
- Non film forming so it cannot flake or peel and is resistant to UV
- Dry-Treat only uses silanes which produce alcohol. Dry-Treat sealers do NOT contain methoxy silanes which emit methanol and can cause blindness / death
A 15 year performance warranty is available if product is applied by a level 4 Accredited Applicator at the optimal application rate (see section on Total Application Rates), according to our written instructions and guidelines and samples are provided to us for testing. Industry professionals can contact their local Dry-Treat representative or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about Accredited Applicator training and certification.
- Active Content: >49%
- Specific Gravity: 0.84
- Color: Clear colorless to light straw yellow liquid
- Weight: 7.02 lbs / gallon; 0.84 kg / liter
- VOCs: ˂629 g/liter (using EPA method 24)
- USA and Asia Pacific – 5 gallon / 18.9 liter; 54 gallon / 204.5 liters; 250 gallon / 946 liter - special order
- Europe – 5 Gallon (18.9Litre); 54 and 250 gallon - special order.
How to Use
- ALWAYS TEST PRODUCT ON A SMALL AREA FIRST and allow a 24 hour cure time to determine the ease of application and desired results.
- Wear suitable solvent-resistant gloves, protective clothing, safety goggles and an organic vapor respirator during application
- Ensure surfaces to be treated are dry, clean and free of residues
- Surface temperature should be 40 - 95⁰ Fahrenheit / 5 - 35⁰ Celsius
- Product is not to be diluted / thinned. Product is not to be mixed or used on the same job as STAIN-PROOF Original™.
- When applying to a building façade or within reach of other surfaces, mask or otherwise protect these other surfaces such as window frames from overspray. If they receive overspray, clean immediately with alcohol, methylated spirits or acetone.
- Apply the product using a low pressure sprayer with a fan spray nozzle working from the lowest sections upwards.
- On horizontal surfaces, apply 2 generous coats, at least 10 minutes apart. For the best results, wait longer between coats, but apply each coat before the previous coat has dried.
- On vertical surfaces, to minimize dripping and running it is best to apply 4 lighter coats rather than 2 heavy coats and to begin at the bottom of a surfaces and work upwards.
- Total application rate varies widely depending on the material, porosity and finish: 160 – 600 sq. ft. per gallon (4 – 15 sq. m. per liter). See table under Total Application Rates below.
- Thoroughly polish off any excess product residue on the surface with clean, white absorbent cloths before the final coat dries. Tip: to minimize the amount of excess do some tests to determine the right amount of product to spray for each coat.
- Clean equipment with methylated spirits, alcohol or acetone
Warning: Sealer will not prevent acid etching or physical wear of the surface and may cause some darkening
Advanced Application Guidelines
- STAIN-PROOF M™ should never be diluted
- STAIN-PROOF M™ should only be used on exposed surfaces which are not subjected to constant static water pressure.
- Not intended for below-grade waterproofing or for use as a waterproof membrane.
- Do not dilute or apply to a wet surface: Silanes are reactive. This means they react chemically to form covalent bonds within the treated material. If the silane is made to react before it finds suitable bonding sites, then it cannot bond inside the pores and performance and lifespan can be affected.
- Testing and cure time: It can take up to 4 weeks for all of the silane molecules to migrate and find suitable sites to bond inside the pores. As more silane bonds inside the treated material, performance improves. It is recommended to let treated surfaces cure in a well ventilated area for at least 3 weeks before testing for penetration or water repellence.
- Applying the right amount of product consistently on a large area:
- Only tackle one small area at a time – so that you can apply additional coats before any residue from the previous coat dries.
- It is recommended to measure out an area before starting application and a suitable amount of product to get a visual gauge and feel for how much product to spray for each coat.
- At regular intervals measure the area you have sealed and the amount of product used to check that you are consistently applying the desired amount of product.
- When applying additional coats, apply each coat perpendicular to the previous coat, to ensure all areas of the surfaces receive a consistent amount of product.
- Dense surfaces (especially with a polished finish): Use lamb’s wool applicator or brush, so the sealer is wiped over the surface. Spraying is not recommended for polished surfaces. Dwell time between coats should be maximized to give the product maximum opportunity to penetrate.
- Highly porous surfaces: Highly porous surfaces, such as sandstone and some varieties of limestone should ideally be pre-sealed with a light spray of STAIN-PROOF M™, at least 8 hours before applying the main coats. Apply sufficient product so the surface looks shiny / mirror wet for at least 3-5 seconds after each coat before it soaks in.
- Excess product (product residue):
- The amount of residue left on the surface, once the sealer has had sufficient time to penetrate, will vary depending on the surface type, porosity and finish. More porous surfaces with a honed (matte) or rougher finish will often absorb all the product applied, leaving no residue, while surfaces such as granite, especially if they have a highly polished finish will be less absorbent and there will be plenty of excess product to remove.
- Excess residue must always be thoroughly removed by polishing with clean, dry, absorbent white cloths before it dries on the surface. If the product has dried, damp a cloth with a small amount of product and use this to soften the residue, then polish off with a clean dry cloth.
- Cleanup of equipment / spills: Ensure you have a good supply of alcohol, methylated spirits or acetone and clean white absorbent cloths, paper towels to clean your equipment and any overspray. If using solvent to clean overspray, take care not to damage any paint, coatings or other vulnerable surfaces.
- Applying to vertical surfaces: On vertical surfaces, to minimize dripping and running it is best to apply 4 lighter coats rather than 2 heavy coats and to begin at the bottom of a surfaces and work upwards. Place tarp or plastic sheets below to catch the excess drips.
- Quick method for avoiding overspray:
- Have a light rectangular piece of board handy which you can hold with one hand to protect surfaces while you spray with the other hand. This is quicker than masking off areas.
- Note: If product overspray lands on adjacent surfaces such as window frames, it will cause these to become water repellent, so overspray should be removed with clean white absorbent cloths immediately (methylated spirits, alcohol or acetone can be used but take care not to damage any paint or coating).
Total Application Rate
- Use this table to find the correct total application rate for a particular material. If you are unsure what application rate to use, seek advice from your local Dry-Treat Representative.
- Total Application Rates include all coats. So, if for e.g. the total application rate is 200 sq. ft. per gallon (5 sq. m. per liter), and you are applying 4 coats to a vertical surface, you will apply each coat at approximately 800 sq. ft. per gallon (20 sq. m. per liter).
- Do not take internally.
- Apply when surface temperature is between
- 5 and 35 C° (40 to 95°F).
- Avoid moisture contact with the surface for 6 hours after application.
- Protect surrounding areas from over spray .
- Keep away from drains, plants, water and soil.
- Use only in well-ventilated areas.
- Use a positive pressure respirator if ventilation is inadequate.
- Wear suitable solvent-resistant gloves, protective clothing, safety goggles and an organic vapor respirator during application.
- Avoid applying in windy conditions.
- Wash hands thoroughly.
Highly flammable liquid and vapor. Harmful if inhaled. Causes skin irritation. Causes serious eye irritation. May cause respiratory irritation. May cause drowsiness or dizziness. Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects.
Keep away from heat, hot surfaces, sparks, open flames and other ignition sources. No smoking. use only outdoors or in a well-ventilated area. Ground container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical safe equipment.
Stain Test: ISO 10545 – 14:1995 – Part 14: Determination of resistance to stains:
- Mean BPN untreated surface – 67
- Mean BPN surface treated with STAIN-PROOF™ - 68
- Negligible change to slip resistance.