Marble is a granular metamorphic rock derived from limestone or dolomite. It is primarily composed of calcite and varies in texture from fine to coarse. Depending on its formation the colours include white, grey, brown and pink. For its distinct colours, textures and price, marble is commonly used in kitchens and bathrooms as countertops, vanities and floor tiles.
Typical Uses of Marble:
Kitchen countertops: Marble countertops are desired for their luxurious appearance. The natural stone is generally more expensive than synthetic equivalents but no other material can compare to its unique colours and veining.
Floors: Marble tiles are used as indoor flooring in homes and in lobbies and rooms of commercial spaces such as hotels and offices. The stone can make an area feel more feel more elegant, whilst adding value to a property. Marble has a lower porosity than most natural stones, meaning it will not stain as easily as more porous surfaces if spills are cleaned in a timely manner.
- Polished: The surface has a mirror gloss with sharp reflections, a common finish for kitchen countertops and floors.
- Honed: The surface has a smooth finish with little gloss often used on bathroom floors and kitchens in homes and throughout commercial buildings.
Common Problems of Marble:
Although marble is quite dense any stain left on the surface will eventually be absorbed into the material.
Dry-Treat™ has a number of products that can protect against staining and remove those difficult deep stains.
- STAIN-PROOF™ Original™ provides superior water and oil repellency, which will help prevent staining from food and liquid spills on all granite surfaces. The invisible, impregnating sealer permanently bonds to the pores of granite through a chemical reaction. This means a treated surface will not be affected by traffic, exposure to UV radiation or commercial cleaning processes.
- Oxy-Klenza™, part of Dry-Treat’s HANAFINN™ range is perfectly suited for removing stubborn stains. The powerful, oxygen based cleaner can be made into a closed poultice which can remove stains that have had time to sink into dense stones such as granite. Refer to our maintenance guide for how to apply a closed poultice to a stain.
Calcareous stones such as marble are vulnerable to damage known as acid-etching. When anything acidic such as lemon, cola, coffee or wine comes into contact with an acid-sensitive material it will dissolve the calcium inside the stone. This results in a permanent, rough, physical mark. No impregnating sealer will prevent acid-etching. This is because they do not physically stop a substance from touching the surface.
For bathrooms tiled in Marble, soaps that contain citrus additives should be avoided as they are acidic and will damage the stone. Marble that is used outdoors may also be subject to acid-etching. Rain and bird droppings can be acidic which will discolour and damage marble surfaces.
Protecting your marble surfaces
For protection against stains, efflorescence and the enhancement of marble surfaces:
STAIN-PROOF™ Plus - 2 coats
To protect natural stone countertop we recommend using STAIN-PROOF PLUS™. The impregnating sealer is specially designed for dense stone countertops. The superior depth of penetration means your surface will have permanent water and oil repellence.
Note: Dry-Treat’s impregnating sealers will not prevent acid etching because they do not physically prevent an acidic substance from touching a surface. For protection against acids Dry-Treat’s Vitremela™, the thin, 100% acid-proof, heat and scratch resistant coating can be applied to marble countertops.
For natural look:
STAIN-PROOF™ Original - 2 coats
For protection against water and oil-based stains and efflorescence we recommend using STAIN-PROOF™ Original. The sealer’s deep penetration into the pores of your material will provide superior water and oil repellency. This will stop food and liquid spills from causing permanent staining and significantly reduce the formation of efflorescence. STAIN-PROOF™ Original creates a chemical bond inside the pores, permanently becoming part of your material.
META-CRÈME™ - 1 coat
For indoor applications, we recommend using META CRÈME™ for protection against water and oil-based stains and efflorescence. The ultra-low VOC sealer chemically bonds to the lining of a material’s pore structure, providing permanent protection. META CRÈME™ deeply penetrates into the pores which creates an excellent water and oil repelling barrier. This sealer is easier to apply, requiring only 1 coat, and is suitable for smooth surfaces.
For enhanced look
INTENSIFIA™ - 2 coats
For superior color enhancement of a surface whilst providing protection against water and oil-based stains, we recommend using INTENSIFIA™.
Maintaining your marble surfaces
For everyday and heavy-duty cleaning of your marble surfaces:
Maintenance is an important part of owning a natural stone or other hard porous surface. Being diligent about the condition of your surface can minimize the need for regular, heavy-duty cleaning. There are a few simple actions that can be taken such as:
- Wiping up spills as soon as possible.
- Regularly washing down areas such as pool surrounds with fresh water after use.
- Frequently removing leaves, branches and other plant matter from patios. If left for long enough, some leaves will bleed tannins, staining the surface.
- Using walk on/walk off mats and vacuuming can reduce the amount of grit on a surface
- Avoid spilling acidic substances such as lemon, cola, tomato sauce, or even using cleaners that contain acid as it can leave a permanent etch on the marble surface
For outdoor cleaning:
For regular outdoor cleaning of organic stains such as grease, motor oil, mold stains, plant stains and stains from animal waste Oxy-Klenza™ can be used. Oxy-Klenza™ is a powerful triple action outdoor cleaner and stain remover for natural stone and other hard porous surfaces. The oxygen, alkaline and detergent based cleaner breaks down organic stains and soiling.
For indoor cleaning:
For regular indoor cleaning of organic stains such as oil, mold stains and food grime Rejuvenata ACTIVE™ can be used. The powerful active enzyme cleaner concentrate is specially designed for natural stone and other hard surfaces.
For countertop cleaning:
Rejuvenata™ for countertops
Countertops are a key feature of any kitchen. It can be a space for food preparation, dining and even acting as a second table. For this reason porous natural stone countertops usually need to be cleaned daily.
Rejuvenata™ spray for countertops is a pH neutral cleaner specially designed for natural stone countertops. The everyday cleaner is food safe and contains a tiny amount of invisible sealer to increase protection from staining. Rejuvenata™ spray’s mild, natural citrus scent provides a refreshing aroma.
For cleaning efflorescence, limescale, rust marks, and grout haze on acid sensitive surfaces
Note on not using acid
Eff-Erayza and other acid cleaners are not suitable for acid-sensitive surfaces such as marble. If used on these materials the cleaner will leave a permanent etch mark on the surface.
Other Surfaces :