STAIN-PROOF Original™ is an impregnating, invisible and breathable sealer that provides premium permanent protection for natural stone, tiles, pavers, concrete, brick and grout from water and oil based stains and damage caused by water and dissolved salts. Treated indoor and outdoor surfaces become easier to clean and keep looking good for longer.
HOW TO USE
- ALWAYS TEST PRODUCT ON A SMALL AREA FIRST and allow a 24 hour cure time to determine the ease of application and desired results.
- Ensure surfaces to be treated are dry, clean and free of residues.
- Product is to be applied without thinning.
- Generously saturate the surface with product using a low-pressure hand spray, a clean brush, or similar. Surface should have a mirror-like wet look for 3-5 seconds. Avoid contact with surrounding areas.
- When the surface becomes touch dry, or after a minimum of 10 minutes, repeat Step 4. Total application rate is approximately one liter per two to 25 sq. meters (20 to 250 sq. feet per quart) depending on absorption.
- After the final coat, wait approximately 10 minutes but before the surface dries, then polish the surface thoroughly with clean, dry, white cloths, towels or similar to remove excess product, moistening cloth STAIN-PROOF™ to ease polishing.
- Use an organic solvent e.g. methylated spirits to clean equipment. Once cured, this product is food contact safe.
- Sealer will not prevent surface etching, scuff marks or wear and may lighten or darken some surfaces. STAIN-PROOF Original™ will make the maintenance and cleaning of a treated surface much easier. Once cured, this product is food contact safe.
Advanced application tips
1. TESTING STAIN-PROOF™
STAIN-PROOF™ must be allowed to cure for at least 3 weeks before undertaking testing.
a. Achieving optimum stain repellence.
STAIN-PROOF’s specially designed sealing molecules migrate through the pores and find sites to bond by a process of chemical reaction, over 3 to 4 weeks! As more STAIN-PROOF™ molecules bond inside the pores, the material becomes more oil and water-repellent. After 24 hours of cure time, the product will show only adequate stain repellency and zero penetration, but after 3 weeks cure time the results will be significantly better.
b. Achieving maximum depth of penetration.
The modified silane molecules in STAIN-PROOF™ are hundreds of times smaller than the best modern competitor (fluorocarbon /siloxane) sealers, which cannot penetrate into the pores of dense materials, such as polished granites. After 3 weeks of cure time, typical penetration of STAIN-PROOF™ into Kashmir white granite is 8 to 13 millimeters.
2. APPLYING STAIN-PROOF™ ON DENSE / POLISHED SURFACES.
STAIN-PROOF should be applied to smooth surfaces with a lamb’s wool applicator or cloth, so the sealer is wiped over the surface. Spraying is not recommended for polished surfaces. Drying time between coats should be maximized – approximately 15 minutes.
3. APPLYING STAIN-PROOF™ ON HIGHLY POROUS SURFACES
Highly porous surfaces, such as sandstone and soft varieties of limestone should ideally be pre-sealed with a light spray of STAIN-PROOF™, at least 8 hours before applying the 2 main coats. Apply sufficient product so the surface looks shiny / mirror wet for at least 3-5 seconds after each coat.
4. APPLYING STAIN-PROOF™ ON A NEW TILE INSTALLATION
On a new installation, apply a coat of STAIN-PROOF™ prior to grouting. Then 24 hours after the first coat, apply the grout. After the grout dries (ideally 24 hours later), apply the second coat of STAIN-PROOF™. The first coat of STAIN-PROOF™ will help reduce the chances of picture framing occuring and make grout haze easier to clean.
5. APPLYING STAIN-PROOF™ ON VERTICAL SURFACES
On vertical surfaces you have much less dwell time than on horizontal surfaces as a liquid sealer will run down the wall if a substantial amount is applied. You need plenty of dwell time for the product to penetrate sufficiently. The way to do this is to apply 4 light coats of STAIN-PROOF Original™ instead of 2 generous coats. Apply each successive coat before the previous one dries (wet on wet, approxmately10 minutes between coats). Place tarp or plastic sheets below to catch the excess drips.
6. PROTECT SURROUNDING AREAS WHEN APPLYING STAIN-PROOF™
Cover surrounding areas which you do not wish to treat with STAIN-PROOF™. Use removable painter’s tape to cover the bottom of walls.
Total application rate is approximately one litre per two to 25 sq. meters (20 to 250 sq. feet per quart) depending on absorption. The table of minimum application rate can be used for your reference. STAIN-PROOF™ must be allowed to cure for at least 3 weeks before undertaking testing.
Store locked up in a well-ventilated place. Keep container tightly closed and cool. Recycle wherever possible. Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local regulations.
Apply when surface temperature is between 5 - 35ºC (40 - 95ºF). Avoid moisture contact with the surface for six hours after application. Use positive pressure respirator if ventilation is inadequate. Wear suitable solvent resistant gloves, protective clothing, safety goggles and an organic vapor respirator during application.
Sealing your countertop with a Dry-Treat impregnating / penetrating sealer provides your surface with premium protection, but does not make the surface impervious to stains, plus it is important to know how to clean your stone. Please read our Countertop Care Guide- a simple one page guide which will help you maintain your beautiful stone countertop in tip top condition.
Countertop Care Guide
Sealing your countertop with a Dry-Treat impregnating / penetrating sealer provides your surface with premium protection, but does not make the surface impervious to stains, plus it is important to know how to clean your stone.
Please read our Countertop Care Guide- a simple one page guide which will help you maintain your beautiful stone countertop in tip top condition.
General Surface Maintenance Guide
Dry-Treat has produced a comprehensive, easy-to-read guide to maintaining your sealed (or unsealed) porous surface, including stone surfaces.
The Dry-Treat Surface Maintenance Guide is divided into clear sections for easy use - indoor and out door surfaces, horizontal and vertical surfaces, heavy duty cleaning, light regular cleaning, stain removal and tackling special problems such as salt efflorescence and grout haze.
Download our Surface Maintenance Guide
STAIN-PROOF Original™ Case Studies
Construction Specifications Institute format
Brochures and Guides
STAIN-PROOF Original™ Full Specification Sheet
Professional Application Guide STAIN-PROOF Original™ (FRENCH)
Material Safety Data Sheets
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (GERMAN/SWISS)
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (UK)
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (FRANCE)
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (SPANISH)
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (GERMANY)
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (AUSTRALIA)
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (CHINA)
STAIN-PROOF ORIGINAL (USA) MSDS
STAIN-PROOF MSDS (USA SPANISH)
Technical Specification Clauses
MULTI-LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION BOOKLET
CSIRO Slip Tests SP & EP
STAIN-PROOF CT10A T-72
S-P40 SK Salt Test
S-P Co-efficient Friction
UNSW Stain Test to ISO 10545-14:1995 with oil
UNSW Stain Test to ISO with Iodine
Davco and Amber Tiles Pull-off Test